Stewed or some people called it sauteed cabbage is one of my grandma’s favourite meals and I always loved it. It tastes amazing following the recipe as described below, but it can also be cooked with a smoked bacon, smoked sausages or even pancetta. Today I went for a low fat option of stewed cabbage.
- 1 medium head cabbage, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 (400g) can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
1. In a large bowl, using a Vegetable slicer, slice thinly the cabbage and sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon of pink salt. Add pepper powder to taste.
2. In a large saucepan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil then add chopped onion. Add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and stir until the chopped onions become tender.
3. Pour in a can of chopped tomatoes and stir in the dried thyme, pepper, bay leaves and paprika powder.
4. Add the sliced cabbage and mix well to combine all the ingredients. Add an additional 1/2 cup of cup vegetable broth or water.
5. Cover it and simmer it for 20-30 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally. Add the lemon juice from 1/2 of a lemon and 1 tablespoon of chopped dill. Mix again and remove from heat.