Packed with vegetables, this casserole is what Greeks will call a sfougato, which is a mixture between a frittata and a souffle, but better than both if you were to ask me. It has a numerous amount of courgettes and feta cheese and the texture of this casserole will be tender and light. It’s important to grate the courgettes and salt them prior to start cooking as they need to be dried out before being added to the casserole.
Total calories per serving: 251
20 g fat, 4 net carbs, 12 g protein.
- 4 Courgettes – shredded (740 g)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill – chopped
- 200 g Greek style Feta Cheese – crumbled
- 60 ml, Double Cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3-4 garlic cloves – minced
- 8 Scallions – sliced thin (150 g)
- 1 Tbsp, Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- Cooking Spray (to grease the baking tray)
1. Grate the courgettes and toss them with 1 teaspoon of pink salt. Let them drain for 10 minutes and then wrinkle them dry in a clean dish towel.
2. Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 190C/fan or 170C/gas 6.
3. In a non stick saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the thin sliced scallions and minced garlic and cook until the scallions are softened.
4. Stir in the squeezed courgettes, cover with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes until the courgettes release all the excess of water. Remove the lid and continue to cook for 2 minutes until the excess of water dries.
5. Beat the eggs, double cream and pepper with a fork until thoroughly combined and add the courgettes, crumbled feta cheese, chopped dill and dry oregano. Mix until well combined.
6. Grease a baking tray with cooking oil and then transfer the mixture.
7. Bake at 190 C until the eggs are set and the edges are beginning to brown. The top should get light brown.
Serve warm with a few slices of avocado, olives and baked chicken drumsticks.