It doesn’t matter what diet you are on, as for healthy eating it’s always important to stock up on the basic ingredients and always be ready to prep a healthy home cooked meal.
If you know you can refrain from eating them all, it’s also better to order some snacks that will help you in your journey when you really need a quick snack and you are not able to cook. I always check when my favourite snacks are on sale and I stock up on them. Especially, on my favourite low carb bread.
I’ve listed my favourite ingredients here and I often use these in my cooking on a daily basis.
- Vegan Mayo,
- Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- Black pepper
- Basic spices: Ground turmeric, Smoked Paprika powder, Grill seasoning, BBQ seasoning, Garlic powder and garlic granules, Hot Chilli flakes, Oregano, dried and fresh basil,
- Ground cinnamon, Pure Vanilla Extract, almond extract, lemon extract, rum extract, ground cumin, Baking powder, Soda Bicarbonate, Dried yeast, Ground Almond Flour , Xanthan Gum, Organic Coconut Flour, Truvia, Erythritol, Golden Milled Linseed, Almond Butter, Peanut butter, Cacao powder, Coffee, desiccated coconut.
- Coconut Oil , Olive Oil, MCT Oil, Cooking Spray, canned chopped tomatoes, Passata, Apple Cider Vinegar, Wine vinegar, Acetto Balsamico di Morena, White wine, red wine, Light soy sauce, jarred roasted peppers, pickles, pitted green and black olives
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Biona Organic Coconut Milk
- Dijon Mustard, Mayonnaise, Green and red pesto.
- Roasted red Peppers
- Gherkins and Onions
Recommended Keto Flours
- Fresh cauliflower (or frozen in the freezer)
- Fresh Broccoli (or frozen in the freezer)
- Fresh or Frozen spinach
- Frozen mushrooms
- Frozen Forest fruit mix, Frozen raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
- Fresh large flat mushrooms
- Onions (shallots are my favs, white and red)
- Green leaf salads
- Double cream
- Soured cream
- Creme Frache (the best is the French one from Waitrose)
- Cottage cheese / cream cheese
- Edam cheese
- Mature Cheddar
- Coconut Unsweetened milk
- Almond Unsweetened milk
- Greek Feta cheese
- Grass fed butter
- Bell peppers
- Chilli peppers
Snacks on the Go
I actually have a subscription for these two products, only because I manage to limit myself and only have one per day and they are much cheaper on Amazon than in any other shop I have seen them. The first PhD Smart bar I bought was from a health food shop and I paid double the price for it. It was all worth it because I tried and I fell in love with it. Same day ordered a full box of 12 from Amazon.
Best protein chocolate bar ever and it has the perfect macros: 20g protein per bar and less than 2g sugar.
Dark Choc Raspberry Flavour: Protein Blend [Milk Protein, Collagen Hydrolysate, Soya Protein Isolate], Raspberry Flavoured Caramel Layer [Sweetener (Maltitol), Condensed Milk, Cocoa Butter, Water, Acidifying Agent (Citric Acid), Humectant (Sorbitol), Flavourings, Emulsifier (Mono And Diglycerides Of Fatty Acids), Salt, Colour (Carmine)], Cocoa Mass, Sweetener (Maltitol), Cocoa Soya Crispies [Soya Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch, Cocoa Powder], Humectant (Glycerol), Water, Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Powder, Flavourings, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Natural Bourbon Vanilla Flavour. 31% dark chocolate coating.
Second best in my view: 20 grams of protein and only 0.9 grams of sugar per bar. It’s much sweeter than the PhD one, but it makes me drink plenty of water. From that perspective, it’s better this one.
Dark Chocolate with Sweetener (21%) (Cocoa Mass, Sweetener: Maltitol; Cocoa Butter, Emulsifier: Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavouring), Protein Blend (Calcium Caseinate (Milk), Whey Protein Isolate (Milk), Hydrolysed Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk)), Humectant: Glycerol; White Chocolate with Sweetener (Sweetener: Maltitol; Cocoa Butter, Whole Milk Powder, Emulsifier: Soy Lecithin; Natural Flavouring), Water, Cocoa Nibs, Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Cocoa, Tapioca Starch), Isomalto-Oligosaccharide, Palm Fat, Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Raspberry Powder (0.65%) (Raspberries, Maltodextrin, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid), Natural Flavouring, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Red Beet Juice Powder (Red Beet, Maltodextrin), Sweetener: Sucralose.
I love to read labels and this is it! A normal bread has around 45g of carbs per 100g. This fantastic delicious bread has 3 times less the carbs than a normal bread. Only 3.8g Carbs and 6.7g Proteins per a fairly medium slice. This bread also has grains (not allowed in keto) but if you stay within your macros, one cheesy toasted sandwich will not take you out of ketosis. At least, for me as long as I do exceed the carbs limit, I can have quite a few slices of this bread. I found it at Waitrose and it’s just £1.55 and this is how I started to shop at Waitrose much more frequently than before. It’s all about the bread!
- Water, Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Mixed Seeds (10%) (Brown Linseed, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds), Wheat Protein, Kibbled Soya, Soya Flour, Wheat Fibre, Sunflower Oil, Wheat Bran, Salt, Yeast, Malt Flour, Preservative Calcium Propionate (added to inhibit mould growth), Wheat Dextrose, Emulsifier Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Wheat Flour, Vegetable Oil (Palm Oil*, Rapeseed Oil), Flour Treatment Agent Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), *The Palm Oil we use is from a sustainable source