Tahini is a paste used as a condiment and it is made from toasted hulled sesame. It is used as an essential ingredient for Hummus and other East Mediterranean cuisines. I never buy Tahini because it is so easy to make at home and you are in control of its ingredients. It’s also much cheaper to make at home and you can make as much or as little you need for your Hummus or Greek recipes. You can buy hulled sesame seeds from most supermarkets and use them on your roasted celeriac wedges, bagels and salads.
Sesame seeds are a good source of fiber and may lower cholesterol and triglycerides but also it may help lower blood pressure and reduce inflammation.
Tahini can be made within 5 minutes and it is nutritious and delicious! For Tahini, we only need 3 ingredients: Sesame seeds, oil and salt! The sesame seeds should preferably be hulled because using unhulled sesame seeds may make it taste more bitter and its consistency will not be as smooth.
Ingredients for Tahini Paste
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds – hulled
- 2-3 tablespoons light olive or vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
Nutrition Facts *
Servings 10 Amount Per Serving: Calories 56
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 80 mg
Potassium 0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 1 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
* The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
Instructions for Tahini Paste
1. Roast the sesame seeds by placing a wide, dry saucepan over medium low heat and throwing in the sesame seeds. Stir constantly the sesame seeds until they change colour into golden brown. Sesame seeds’ flavour is increased when the sesame seeds are roasted.
2. Ground the sesame seeds. Add the sesame seeds into a food processor and process them for a minute until they get crushed and get the consistency of ground almond flour.
3. Turn the Tahini into a smooth paste by adding 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and a pinch of salt. Process the ingredients for a couple of minutes. The Tahini paste becomes smooth and creamy.