I do love my creamy cauliflower soup, but this cauliflower soup is something different – that we all love and always ask for more. You have to give it a try. It is important you add the right amount of salt and cider vinegar as per your taste! I grew up with an amazing potato soured soup that I have been missing for a while now and it was something my grandma used to make for me when I was visiting her. This weekend, I decided to recreate my childhood preferred potato soup by replacing the diced potatoes with cauliflower florets and also by ditching the carrots.
1 serving of approx. 400 ml cauliflower soured soup = 135 calories
9 g of Fat, 3 g Net carbs, 7 g Protein.
- 1000 g Cauliflower florets (Frozen for Freshness) – partly boiled or steamed
- 200 grams Smoked Bacon Lardons
- 1 yolk, Egg – Yolk only
- 3-4 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Pink Salt
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon shallots /white onion – chopped
- 3 tablespoons (120 ml) Creme Frache
- 2.5 l Water
- 1/2 cup chopped Parsley, fresh
1. Chop the shallot or onion. Partly boil or steam the cauliflower florets and then chop them in smaller pieces. They should be small enough to fit in a tablespoon.
2. Transfer one large pot to the hob over a medium heat.
3. Heat one tablespoon of oil and stir in the smoked bacon lardons.
4. Stir the bacon for 1 minute and then add the chopped shallots. Stir occasionally for another one minute.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add 4-5 tbsp of water and continue to saute the onions and bacon for a minute or so.
4. Add the chopped cauliflower florets and add 2.5 l water or until it will cover the cauliflower florets.
5. Add pink salt and ground pepper and bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cover partially. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the cauliflower florets are tender adding more water if necessary.
5. In a small bowl, add one egg yolk, 3 tablespoons cream fraiche and 4 tablespoons of cider vinegar. Mix them together until are well combined and stir the mixture into the cauliflower soup.
6. Remove from heat and continue to stir until the creme mixture is fully combined.
7. Add the chopped parsley and serve with chilli peppers and additional cider vinegar.