This cabbage soup is famous in lots of weight loss diets but also for its impressive nutrient profile. It’s full with vitamins and micro-nutrients, including vitamin A, iron and riboflavin. Cabbage,in general, is also rich in Vitamin B6 and folate, which are essential for our body, generating energy, supporting a healthy metabolism and the normal functioning of the nervous system. However the cabbage is very low in calories.
This soup is full of veggies and it also helps with the digestion. On these cold days, this comforting cabbage soup is often on my mind. There are a few variations of this soup that I make, either with sour cabbage or sweet, or both. Today I made it with a simple, fresh cabbage.
It’s simple to make, although slicing the cabbage can be a real challenge without the right tool. that’s no longer a problem for me as I got a real good cabbage slicer. It makes a lot of difference in the kitchen.
1 serving of approx. 400 ml cabbage soup = 285 calories
17 g of Fat, 4 g Net carbs, 16 g Protein.
- 2 medium stalks, Celery
- 100 g Smoked Pancetta (or sliced smoked ham)
- 1 tbsp, Olive Oil
- 45 g Onion (chopped)
- 50 g Carrot (sliced or chopped)
- 700 g, Cabbage Sliced
- 400 g, Chopped Tomatoes In Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp, Spices, dill weed, dried
- 2 tsp, Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tbsp Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp ground Black pepper
- 400 ml Soured Fresh Cream
- squeezed juice from one large lemon
1. In a large bowl, using a Vegetable slicer, slice thinly the cabbage, the celery stalks and the carrot. Sprinkle the vegetables with pink salt and pepper. Chop the onion.
2. In a large pot, add 1 tbsp of oil then add the chopped onion and the smoked pancetta.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add 4-5 tbsp of water and continue to saute the onions and pancetta for a minute or so.
4. Add the sliced vegetables and add water to cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cover partially. Simmer for 20-30 minutes adding more water if necessary.
5. In another small saucepan, empty a can of copped tomatoes and add the spices: thyme, dill (optional), more pepper, smoked paprika. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. After the cabbage is done, transfer the tomato sauce into the cabbage soup and stir until combined. Cover partially and simmer for another 10 minutes.