This loaded Broccoli casserole is one of my favourites and I usually make it on Sunday evenings to have a delicious, green side next to our Sunday roast but also to have our lunch sorted for the next two days.
It’s very simple to make and it has just the correct amount of cheddar and cheese to make it only cheesy but not fatty.
Makes 6 servings
3 Net carbs, 23 g of Protein, 24 g of Fat and 5 g of Fiber.
- 1000 g Frozen or Fresh broccoli florets (lightly steamed)
- 200 g Cooked Smoked Bacon
- 2 tablespoons melted Grass fed butter
- pinch of Pink Salt (depends how salty is the bacon)
- 1/2 tbsp (6 g) Smoked Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp ground Black pepper
- 1/2 cup Soured cream
- 150 g Full Fat Soft Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Mature British Cheddar – freshly grated (100 g)
- 4 Edam cheese Slices (100 g)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Cooking Spray
- Chopped parsley (optionally)
1. Preheat your oven to 170 C. Spray a baking casserole with cooking oil.
2. Defrost the broccoli florets (if frozen). I use the Defrost function of my Microwave. Add 1/3 cup of water and microwave for 3 minutes. Drain well the florets and line the broccoli florets in one layer in a casserole. If fresh, cut the florets from 4 small heads and lightly steam them in a double boiler or Microwave.
2. In a frying pan, add cooking oil and add the bacon to fry over medium heat. Fry the bacon until it gets golden brown on all sides. I use smoked cooking bacon and it comes in large chunks that I cut in smaller pieces.
3. Place the bacon cuts on a paper towel to absorb the excess of oil.
4. Grate about 90-100 grams of matured cheddar cheese. That will be about 1 cup and a half.
5. In a medium size bowl, add two tablespoons of melted butter, 1/2 cup of soured cream, 150 g cream cheese, grated cheddar ground pepper, pink salt and smoked paprika powder. Mix them all together until all ingredients are well combined.
6. In a medium size bowl, beat the egg with a fork and add the cottage cheese, cream fraiche and 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese. Mix them all together until all ingredients are well combined. Stir in 1/2 of the fried bacon cuts and fold them into the cheese mixture.
7. Dollop the cheese and bacon mixture on top of the broccoli and spread it evenly.
8. Sprinkle the remaining of the bacon cuts and 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese on top and then cover with Edam cheese slices.
9. Transfer to the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 30 minutes until the top gets light brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and enjoy!
This makes a great side for any steak, grill or roast!Enjoy life and enjoy your food!