Some mornings need a hot bagel, at least I need a good bagel in the morning. I’ve seen so many variants of Keto bagels and most of them have the same texture and recipe as the fathead pizza dough. I’ve had a few attempts but I finally got one that tastes more like bread and is still chewy like a normal bagel.
With the ingredients listed below, I made about 6 bagels. Each bagels was weighted so the ring will have exactly 100 grams.
One bagels has less than 4 Net carbs and 233 calories.
- 3/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whey protein powder
- 1/2 cup Organic Coconut Flour
- 120 g Quark Cooking Cheese or Cottage cheese
- 250 g Grated Mozzarella
- 2 large eggs or 3 medium eggs
- whey protein powder (1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil or melted butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame
- Add the mozzarella and the quark cooking cheese together in a microwavable bowl and mix them together. (Instead of Microwave you can use a double boiler on the stove).
- Add the cheeses in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until they melt.
- While the cheeses are melting, beat two eggs in a separate bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Remove it from the microwave and mix the cheese with a spatula.
- Add in the beaten eggs, the Coconut flour, Xanthan Gum , baking powder and the whey protein powder.
- Mix well with a spatula until all ingredients are well combined.
- Line your working wooden board with a large baking sheet.
- Knead into a large dough ball. The dough will have approximately 600 grams.
- Divide the dough in 6 smaller balls of 100 grams each.
- Flatten each dough ball into a circle and make a whole in the middle.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and place the bagels on it.
- Preheat the oven to 170 C and position the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Brush each bagel with melted coconut oil or butter and then sprinkle them with sesame. Leave them to rest for 10 minutes in a warm place.
- Transfer the tray with bagels into the preheated oven on the middle rack.
- Bake the bagels for approximately 25 minutes until they are golden brown.