I know this recipe from my dad and I learned the hard way why my dad is usually making this salad and not my mum. Unless you have an electric grater for celery, this recipe will not be as easy. Grating a celeriac root, which is harder than any carrot or vegetable I have ever grated, requires some effort. So if you have a strong, muscular hand around, don’t hesitate to ask them for help. However, this salad is so healthy and good that it’s worth the trouble. The rest is easy. My dad makes this salad every year for Christmas and New Years Eve. It goes so well with the pork steaks! It’s delicious and fulfilling even on its own. This salad is low carb and low in calorie and full of vitamins! Give it a try and you won’t regret it!
- Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons (100 g) Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 medium apple – grated
- 1 large carrot (70 g) – grated
- 1 medium size celeriac root (600 g)
- 1/3 teaspoon Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh Parsley – chopped
- Optionally, ground pepper
- Peel the celeriac root, carrot and apple.
- Grate the vegetables and add them into a large salad bowl.
- While grating, sprinkle the grated the celeriac and the other vegetables with lemon juice so it won’t oxidise until all the vegetables are grated.
- Mix the grated celeriac, apple and carrot with the lemon juice and salt.
- Add 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and mix until the mayo is combined with the veggies.
- Garnish it with chopped parsley leaves.
- Cover the bowl with Cling Film and keep it chilled in the fridge. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days and it can be served as a salad for your steak or even as a light but healthy lunch.