This soup is one of the best things to combat the Keto flu. It’s sour and salty and it is full of flavours. This one is quick to make but needs to be prepared well in advance and when I say well in advance, I mean 48 hours in advance. The vegetables will need to ferment at room temperature for about 48 hours which is enough to develop many of the complex flavors of all the vegetables and still retain texture.
- 50 g Red Peppers – chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dill – chopped
- 200 g Chopped Tomatoes (1/2 can)
- 100 g Spring Onions – chopped
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 small carrot (~50 g) – chopped
- 450 g Fresh Courgette (cubed)
- 450 g Cucumber (cubed)
- Two-three days before you plan having this soup for lunch or dinner, chop the cucumber and the courgettes in cubes (not too small though) and add them in a large sauce pan with water (2-3 litres), salt and fresh or dried chipped dill.
- Cover them with a lid, and leave them in the kitchen at room temperature for at least 48 hours to ferment.
- On the second day, the vegetables will be fermented and the water will be bubbly. The chopped vegetables are now tangy sour.
- Once the vegetables have fermented, put the saucepan on medium high heat and bring them to boil. Stir them and simmer the vegetables for 5 minutes. Add more water if required.
- Peel and wash a small carrot, the red pepper and the scallions. Finely chop them.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and when the oil is heated add the chopped vegetables. Stir continuously until they are soften and then add 1/2 of can of chopped tomatoes. Bring the tomatoes to boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the content of the frying pan on top of the large saucepan with the fermented cucumber and courgettes.
- Stir until all vegetables are well combined. Add additional chopped dill and/or parsley.
- Serve hot with one large spoon of soured cream. Delicious!