Only if you like your mustard as the flavour is quite strong.
I had some chicken breast left from Bobbie’s schnitzels, and I wasn’t sure what to do with it. For a while now, I had in mind this chicken roll recipe and wondered if it will work and today I decided to give it a try.
1 serving of 2 chicken rolls: 460 calories but it has the perfect balance for the Keto macros!
32 g of Fat, 4 g Net carbs, 32 g Protein.
- 80 grams grilled chicken breast fillet
- 42 g, Smoked pancetta
- 1 tsp prepared Dijon mustard (check the label for sugars!)
- 4 Edam Slices
- 1/2 tsp Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- pinch of ground pepper
- cooking spray to grill
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium, Avocado
- 100 g, Grilled Courgette / Zucchini
- 60 g Mild Mixed Baby Leaf Salad
- 80 g baby plum tomatoes
- Cooking Spray
1. Place one chicken breast on your working top and slice it for the grill. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees C.
2. Season the chicken breasts with pink salt, smoked paprika and pepper to your liking and then set aside.
3. Peel off one medium size courgette and cut it lengthwise into a few strips. Sprinkle some pink salt and leave it to soften.
4. Spray your grill with your favourite cooking oil and pan over a medium high heat.
5. Add the chicken strips to the grill and cook them for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
6. Remove the chicken strips and turn off the heating and add the courgette strips to soften more on the hot grill.
7. Marinate each chicken strip with Dijon mustard and place it on top of an Edam slice. Add a few pieces of pancetta and then roll the Edam cheese slice.
8. Line down two slices of courgette and place the Edam cheese roll on top. Roll the courgette strips and then carefully place the rolls into a baking paper lined tray. If needed, you can use toothpick to hold them but I didn’t find it necessary. They stick quite well on the Edam cheese.
9. Transfer the rolls tray into the preheated oven and turn on the top grill. Leave them in for up to 10 minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
10. While the rolls are in the oven, wash 6 baby plum tomatoes and then cut them in halves. Scoop and slice one medium avocado. On each plate, add half of the avocado, 30-40 grams of mixed leaves, 3-4 baby plum tomatoes. Sprinkle them with 1/2 tsp of olive oil or coconut butter.
Once the cheese starts to melt in the oven, take the Chicken rolls out and add 2 of them on each plate. I have tried a similar recipe in the past but with mozzarella slices and the mozzarella was all gone in the baking tray and there was no trace of it in the chicken roll. I have replaced the mozzarella with Edam cheese as this one is harder and more elastic and it sticks well together with the chicken. Earlier when I took the chicken rolls out, there was a bit of cheese spread on the margins and for a second I thought this recipe will fail too, but with a spatula, I managed to pick them up nicely from the tray and placed them on the plate. Not only that they looked pretty decent but they tasted amazing. Past tense as they are already gone!
Enjoy life and enjoy your food!