Today I only made the Keto and kid friendly version.
Chicken schnitzels are Bobbie’s favourites, when it comes to chicken at least. But he loves his chicken in many ways: fried, roasted, boiled. Lately, he’s favourite dish is this schnitzel made with egg and flour. I made German schnitzels one evening and surprisingly that time he asked for more. Today, for lunch, I decided to make him some schnitzels as they are very quick and easy to make and he was quite hungry.
The original recipe yells for Dijon mustard and lemon juice but his tastes are not there yet and I like to keep it as simple as possible for him. For me on the other had, I season it at the end with lots of lemon juice and I devour every piece of it with a big bowl of mixed leaves salad.
As a Keto meal, it can be served with salads, cauliflower mash, roasted broccoli, celeriac chips, cauliflower rice, etc… and a squeeze of lemon.
1 serving of 2 pieces of chicken schnitzel has 390 calories when fried.
28 g of Fat, 1 g Net carbs, 42 g Protein.
- 1 large chicken breast boneless and skinless (~240g)
- 2 tablespoon Ground Almond Flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- pinch of ground pepper
- vegetable oil to fry
2. Season the chicken breasts with pink salt and pepper to your liking and then set aside.
3. In a bowl, beat the egg with a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Add two tablespoons of almond flour on a plate and start coating the chicken breast pieces.
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot enough, dip the coated chicken breast schnitzel into the egg mixture and then with a fork place each schnitzel into the skillet and fry.
6. Fry each side over a medium high temperature for a couple of minutes until the schnitzel becomes golden brown.
7. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the oil.
For a large dinner portion, you can pound the whole chicken breast and make one giant Chicken breast.
The schnitzels can also be cooked in the oven on a baking sheet paper. In this case, the vegetable oil will no longer be necessary and will be less caloric.
Try it and let me know what you think.
Enjoy life and enjoy your food!