A year ago, burgers were not something I would do at home, not even when I was making a BBQ with friends. I always felt they have to go with a burger bun and are calorie bombs. Having imprinted this, I would also avoid buying any type of burgers. But beef is beef and when I started to buy the low carb beef burgers I started to enjoy them more and more. Yesterday, when I went shopping I saw these beautiful, fresh large, flat mushrooms and I couldn’t resist not to get them.
I already had this mushroom beef burger in my head as soon as I saw them.
Ingredients for 4 Burgers
- 120 grams gherkins (sliced)
- 8 Fresh large flat mushrooms (160 g)
- 100 grams Tomatoes on the Vine (sliced)
- 100 grams Edam cheese (4 slices)
- 60 grams British Round Lettuce
- 4 burgers Reduced Fat British Beef Burgers
- 20 grams Red Onion Sliced (optional)
- 2 teaspoon Grass fed butter
- Pinch of Smoked Paprika powder
- Pinch of salt & pepper,
- Pinch of garlic granules
- Optionally – your favourite Burger sauce
1. Preheat grill to a moderate-high heat.
2. Peel and wash the mushrooms and add 1/2 teaspoon of salted butter on each mushroom and then season with smoked paprika, garlic granules, ground pepper and pink salt.
3. Spray with cooking oil an iron cast grill and add the mushrooms for 15 minutes, turning them up after 10 minutes. Remove from the grill and cover them to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining of the mushrooms.
4. On the same grill, add the beef burgers and transfer under moderate heat for 18 minutes, turning occasionally.
5. While the beef burgers are cooking, prepare a few slices of fresh tomatoes, gherkins, lettuce leaves and a slice of Edam cheese or mozzarella.
6. Once the beef burgers are cooked, add a flat mushrooms on a serving plate and top it with an Edam cheese slice, a hot beef burger, sliced gherkins, sliced fresh tomatoes, lettuce leaf and another grilled flat mushroom. Optionally, you can add a teaspoon of your favourite burger sauce. I personally like and add one teaspoon of vegan Mayo.
Optionally, a few slices of red onion and extra lettuce leaves can be added for more flavour!