Although a big fan of our local Waffle House, I haven’t bought a waffle maker until recently when I wanted waffles as part of my no carbs lifestyle. I found a good deal for a 3 in 1 waffle maker and then I started to experiment. I had a few attempts and some resulted in too sweet waffles or not sweet enough, too flat, too dry and so on but now I finally have a winner. And I call it a winner because everyone loves them and they haven’t even noticed they have no sugar and no wheat flour!
4 servings of 1 large waffle
Total calories per serving: 422
Net carbs: 8g, Protein:12 g, Fat: 35g and Fiber: 9.
- 5 medium eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp British double cream
- 130 g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp Truvia or 4 tbsp Erythritol
- 4 tbsp Organic Coconut Flour ♡
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- one pinch of Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- 50 ml Sparkling Water
- Cooking Spray
Insert the non stick waffle plates into the waffle baker and preheat the appliance. Just to be safe, I spray with a bit of oil the plates before I start pouring in the waffle mixture.
1. Separate the eggs in two mixing bowls. In one bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks.
2. With an electric mixer, mix the egg yolks with the sweetener and the vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, mix 4 tablespoons of coconut flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
4. Microwave the butter for 60 seconds to melt.
5. Over the egg yolks mixture, pour in the melted butter, the coconut and baking powder mixture and incorporate the coconut flour into the egg mixture. Then add the double cream and mix again until combined.
6. Fold the egg whites into the the waffle mixture and then add 50 ml of sparkling water and lightly mix until combined.
7. Pour the mixture into the sprayed waffle plate base, being careful not to overfill. Close the lid and allow the waffles to cook to your liking. I leave them about 6 minutes until golden.
8. Repeat again for the remaining of the mixture.
I got 4 large waffles that I topped with blueberry sauce. The blueberry sauce I instantly make from one cup frozen blueberries and 1 tbsp of sweetener.
It’s simple, really simple and sugar free. In a pot, you drop a cup of frozen blueberries and add a tablespoon of granulated sweetener, you bring to boil and then you top your waffles to your liking. One quarter of this blueberry sauce has 20 calories and 3g of Net carbs.Enjoy life and enjoy your food!