One cake has less than 2 grams of net carbs and it’s absolutely amazing!
Oh well, I was a bit worried how the keto version of one of the favourite childhood cakes it’s going to turn up, but to my surprise it’s absolutely fantastic, unearthly I would dare to say!
It has three delicious layers, a spongy top and creamy custard middle and a thick dense bottom. I can’t decide which one I like most. The best part it is so easy to make and won’t take more than 10 minutes to slide it into the oven if you have all the ingredients at hand. The not so good part is that it needs time to cool and settle and you can’t really serve it immediately.
- 5 large eggs (room temperature)
- 150 g Erythritol or Baking sweetener
- 140.00 g, Butter Kerry gold Unsalted
- 1 teaspoon Sicilian Lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract and/or few Vanilla seeds from a Vanilla pod
- 600 ml Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 100 gram Organic Coconut Flour ♡
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 100 ml Whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Stevia granulated powder.
- Preheat oven to 150C or 300F. Grease and line a 10×10 inch (25x25cm) tray with parchment paper.
- Separate egg whites from yolks.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the egg yolks, the preffered sweetener, unsalted butter, lemon extract, lemon zest, vanilla extract and vanilla seeds. Mix them all together until smooth.
- Add the coconut flour and mix until well combined.
- Add the Unsweetened Almond Milk gradually and continue to mix on low speed until the mixture becomes creamy.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Pour the egg whites into the batter and gently fold them in. It’s best to use a spatula to fold them in and not the electric mixer.
- Place the batter into your parchment paper-lined baking tray. Use a spatula to smooth the top of the cake.
- Slide it in the preheated oven and bake for approx. 1 hour until the top becomes golden.
- Let it cool completely in the tray and then put it in the fridge for a few hours to set.
- Take the cake from the fridge and slice it into bars.
- In another mixing bowl, whip 100 ml of whipping cream with Stevia granulated powder and pour some on top to serve.